Friday, February 4, 2011

Things to do Today


--make turkey chili since it's chilly outside. What better way than to make some chili that doesn't make you fill gross. Google Real Simple recipes for quick turkey chili.

--make a Hershey's chocolate cake. Corey makes this awesome chocolate cake but she only makes it in her Texas pan. I think I just love the shape of TX(note to self: start looking for Texas charms/necklace. Since I've been craving this cake, I'm going to attempt to make it myself.

--and sign up for Breakthrough. It's been like ONLY 4 years since I've been to an IV retreat. DudE! I need this. My heart needs this. Lately, I've been just wanting to get out of town for a while. Going home doesn't count because I want a little adventure and want to go somewhere not knowing what to expect but maybe some familiar faces. That sort of always happens around IV oriented events/retreats.

Today was unexpected. Snow day for work. Work. I really like where I work b/c it's stress free although this week didn't feel stress free.
I am learning and being stressed in whatever job I go. Thanks, Jesus, Thanks. (That was sarcasm-1 pt for me).

So--since a few years ago, I HATED...yes H-A-T-E-D having female supervisors.
In my last awful experience, they were micro-managers, didn't assess situations or how details should be handled, were not team players, and quite honestly didn't have the leadership skills set I felt they should have in their management roles.
Sadly, out of frustration, I reached a breaking point, and lost that job. Considering the circumstances I was under at the time, who would NOT reach a melting point except of course Superman. HA, even Superman had TIME to get away and change into a different costume. He wasn't surrounded by somebody every waking moment on the job.
And, since that job, I have had a effin female supervisor since in just about every job since then. Every one. every. one. one.
Some were ok. I was always judging and being cautious with each one. And, then it happened again.
In one of those jobs, I got in trouble. "You don't respect management". LOL. This is the second time in the past 3 years I had been told this. Mind you again, I did not respect this woman. She would publicly humiliate her inferiors by calling out their errors, embarrass me in front of clients with personal confidential information should be asked behind closed doors. O believe me, when she made mistakes, I would let her know. This morning, I felt missing that job. Why, b/c I miss working with crazy-ass ppl. Yes, y'all people. I love working with people. Back to my story.
Disrepecting Management
Yes, in that moment in being called out and thank God she did it in her office behind closed doors. For the first time, I agreed with her b/c in reality I didn't respect her. Again, I'm coming across another woman who doesn't have the leadership skill set a leader should have.
I realized later in a Dave Ramsey class(which btw I believe everyone should take) that I would be a good manager or should be a manager. Inside my head, I'm kicking and screaming to be given this calling. NO!!!!
Now i'm on this track to be some type of management role in education. Not sure what that would look like, but first I would need to get familiar with it. At this point, I'm taking alternative teacher certification classes.
And, now...SAs school districts are experiencing a hiring freeze and million dollar budget cuts. What awesome timing I have. NOT.
I keep hearing in my head. NOW, Jennifer. Now is the time. So I did it. Even though a few of my friends thinks I'm crazy for doing it now amidst this financial crisis, I feel at peace about mostly in a spiritual sense. Isn't that where it counts at least for myself.
Current female supervisors. I technically administratively support 3 managers and my direct supervisor is female. OMG--sometimes, i want to metaphorically pull out my hair b/c of course in every place there is miscommunication that happen, and duh, it will happen. But all in all, they are awesome ppl to work for and work with. They are understanding, seek to understand situations, and are just effin REAL even via email and it makes me smile.
In all those female supervisors I had, I'm glad I was born with this boldness to say to them(if they deserved it) they were amazing supervisors. And, the response I get back from them shocks me. It is very rare they hear encouraging words, but I feel most women need to hear that. Heck, I do. And, there is something genuine in those moments they know they were doing their job.

1 comment: